Saturday, July 2, 2011

Running Injury

Well, I knew this day would come. When I got a running injury. We've been a bit slack on our runs lately, mostly because JP got sick and we've not been out as often as usual in the last few weeks. Plus, let's be honest, the middle of winter needs a lot of motivation just to even think about putting running shoes on and heading into the cold when it's about 3 degrees outside.

We'd been out already this week and felt okay but simply couldn't face it Friday night again. So we bargained with ourselves to switch to Sat instead. Then slept in and bargained to do it later in the day. Then when 5pm arrived we had no choice. And having to take a video back to the store we decided to do a long run - see previous post re our definition of a 'long run' haha.

The good thing about having been running now for nearly a year is that our stamina has improved. We made it most of the way without having to slow to a walk and actually ran all the way back from the half way mark without walking at all. My legs did it hard though and at about three quarters of the way through, as each step strained up through my lower legs and into my thighs I thought I might just know, in the tiniest way, what it feels like to do a really long run. Not the pain - it wasn't that. It was just an awareness of my lower body. With each step I was acutely aware of my legs to the point that my lower body felt entirely different to my upper body. My lower body was the reality - it was hurting. And my upper body was doing it easy, just along for the ride. It didn't even feel like part of me.

Here's the irony though. I ended up with a strain which I only noticed when I got home and had stopped. Yeah, my legs were hurting. But that wasn't the worst of it. I strained... my finger! Not, I would think, a common runners injury! I don't know what I was doing with my hand but my finger's got up a hurt that makes my legs feel real good. I'm going to be positive though and assume this is not going to slow me down and ruin my running career :p

No comments:

Post a Comment