Thursday, November 25, 2010

Relay for Life - Take 2

Last Saturday night, well, Sunday morning, my JP and I headed over to Croydon athletics track at 2.30am to participate in the Relay for Life. We were invited to keep my bro and sis-in-law company because, strangely, the team didn't have anyone to fill the 3-5.30am shift on the relay.

The relay went for 18 hours - from 6pm Sat to 10am Sun - and when we agreed to participate we thought it would be a doddle. But it wasn't. Alright, it wasn't like running a marathon but walking around and around and around a track in the middle of the night after only 2.5 hours sleep was harder than it looked. Simply because of lack of energy. Even a hot chocolate at the 4am mark didn't make that much difference to how I felt.

It's not like I went home with muscle strain but it was hard on my feet and calves. And when I thought at 5am that since we've started running now I would be able to handle a few or half dozen laps running, it turned out I lasted only two laps before my body protested. I guess since it's not natural to be up at that time of night isn't going to readily agree to running. Although the boys from the East Ringwood Footy Club didn't seem to have a problem as they sprinted past lap after lap. Then again they were about 20 years younger than me!

Surprisingly it was actually quite nice being up at that time of night. If only my body agreed. But it was a great experience and one that I would participate in again. Being part, even a tiny part, of a $92,000 fund raising effort felt pretty special.

No comments:

Post a Comment