Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Bucket of Ice

So things should be on the up and up by now. Right? It's been eight months since my back injury which was recovering nicely. And I should be back on track. Until the overexcitement of my new computer caused a lack of concentration while lifting the mothership downstairs and the disk went again in January. An MRI confirmed compression of the nerve. And just because I have to be a bit different a bunch of Tarpov cysts were discovered on the nerve roots. Although apparently that's not causing the problem. It was just interesting that I had to show up something strange.

Then just as I was settling into a  morose mindset that this up and down disk injury would determine how I led the rest of my life (tentatively) my original physio suggested I see a different physio who could strengthen my core and back with one-on-one exercise sessions to help me recover.

Of course just as I was being tortured into someone who didn't have to spend the rest of my life bending gingerly and walking as exercise, I fell backwards down a set of stairs and tore my anterior tibiofibular ligament. So my back program has been set back (no pun intended) and I have spent the last three days with my ankle strapped in place and performing ice baths on my right ankle. And in order to get to ice on the affected area I've had to do that in a bucket.

So today as I was thinking what exciting things have I been up to that I could status update and I realised that my life has been reduced to simple physio exercises, slow walking and a green bucket. And 4 to 6 weeks recovery. There are many worse things in life than the inside of that big green bucket but I sure wish the road to recovery hadn't had so many obstacles of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment